Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Filter Design

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
BV,

You may not need any external filter.About 1 1/2" of medium gravel,

sub-sand
filter and good power heads will handle 2 12" oscars in a 70 gal tank. No
external filter needed for most 55 gal set ups. About every 6 mo to a

year
you need to clean the sand. You can do it in the tank if you strip out
plants, etc, toss the gravel to lift the gunk, and use a small under water
pond pump pulling through a tupperware and filter sponge. I could send

you
a pic of the tupperware setup. I have run my oscar tank for about eight
years now. Recently I added philadendron to pull out some nutrients and
decorate.

snip

Jim...I already have a hang on filter on the back of the tank although I
don't think it does much. The filters take about 4 months to get dirty. I
have a nice layer of substrate, and some bottom feeders and some plants. All
parameters are perfect. I can't explain how, they just are.

Anyway, the idea of this external pump is really two fold. 1) I am a geek
with no free time, so of course I am looking to make life difficult by
adding another project that I don't need. 2) I am thinking some day of doing
a reef tank, and for me to afford it, I'll need to be crafty with some DIY
stuff, so I figured I would experiment now....see item 1).

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com