Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
profpam

Default Question on Phal keikei (sp?)

Hi, Alex,

Don't remove the plantlet unless the roots are at least 2 inches. Once
I had a water cultured phal plantlet produce leaves and tiny roots;
however, once I potted the keiki it died.

One way of encouraging roots may be to wrap a bit of moss around the
base. If it were not a phal, I would say to allow the plantlet to
softly touch the potting mix in order for it to send down its roots.

Nevertheless, you, indeed, have a confusing situation as usually keikis
will send out roots rather than leaves. Also, sometimes ROOTONE found at
Walmart and drug stores will help encourage root growth.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Hi!
I've got a phal in bloom with a new spike & last year's spike. At the
tip of last year's spike is a plant about 4 inches across. It's got 4
leaves & appears quite healthy, but it has no roots.

Any suggestions on how to get roots to develop? I know there is a
rooting paste from Canada. Any home remedies?

Thank you!
Alex
Austin, TX