Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
H Hornblower

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

On 09 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, (Shystev99) wrote:

Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched websites and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)
The second method I have found on the web was just planting it in soil, I found
a site that suggested to cut the pointed tip of the seed off about 1/4 inch or
so and plant the seed with just the cut part exposed above the soil.
Has anybody had any success with either method and any tips? I read today that
if you try the water method it helps to add charcoal to the water to "Sweeten"
it. Would this charcoal idea also work with soil? And would a regular charcoal
briquette work?
I live in southern Ca about 30-50 miles from where Avocados normally grow, It
may be to cold here but just not sure, Still like to try. Also not sure about
what type of Avocado seed I have to plant, A friend brought some over a few
weeks ago and there were mixed varieties.
I am soaking the seed completley submerged in tap water for the moment, Just to
keep from drying out till I figure out which method to use. But will decide
either way by tomorrow (Tuesday).
I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and we
never really started things from seed.
Thanks for any advice
Steve

My mother would stick toothpicks in them so that they would
rest on top of a glass of water with just the bottom of the seed wet.