Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Nedra

Default Lost fish in dead of winter

I'll need a little more information ... it sounds like an a lack
of aeration so I'm wondering if you have an airstone bubbling
up at the surface? Is your pond ice covered? Is it open?

I would go ahead and buy an air pump (about
8 or 9 dollars) and air hose; attach this to a 12 inch airstone.
My airstones are about 6 inches down from the surface of the
pond. In this cold weather I do run the de-icer right above the
airstones.

Let us know what your set-up is.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

"Simmons" wrote in message
I about a week ago, one of my fish came up from the bottom and started

gasping at the deicer. This behavior was odd as I have never seen it in the
8 years I have had the pond. A few days later the fish was dead at the
bottom. The other fish seem fine, but I am concerned as to what might be
going on.

In the dead of winter is there really anything I can do anyways?

Does someone have suggestions what might have (or is) happening?

As the water starts to warm this spring, should I be overly concerned that

more deaths may occur? (and is there anything I could do to stop it)??

Thanks.