Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
RichToyBox

Default Safety of Copper Pipes?

Copper will oxidize, though slowly, and the oxide will enter the water. It
is very toxic once it reaches a certain concentration. When I started with
aquaria about 30 years ago, the only cure for many of the parasites was to
put copper pennies in the water, and when the fish started to roll, do a
major water change. If it almost killed the fish, it probably killed the
parasites.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I just replumbed my entire house with copper, and I have some left over. I
am thinking about building a DIY filter for my aquarium, just for fun. Any
thoughts on the safety of using copper in an aquaria environment? I figure
it safe for us to drink, it should be safe in the tank or pond for that
matter.

Any thoughts?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com