Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Sharp Tooth

Default UGH! Snails!

On 11 Feb 2004 19:39:50 -0800, (Dacaprice)
wrote:

I added a yellow tailed botia because I was advised that he would eat
the snails and he wasn't as aggressive as clown loaches. Well I've
never seen that thing eat a snail since I've had him. I found that
the easiest way to get rid of those things is to wash your hands, and
stick your arm in the tank and pull the snails off the surface and
throw them in the trash. Do this every day or every other day for a
couple of weeks and you will notice a huge difference. In a thirty
gallon tank this should only take a few minutes each day.

Chris

Chris,

I've gone more than 20 years more or less snail free (other than
intentionally introduced Malaysian Live Bearing Burrowing Snails).
However, my last purchase of plants introduced another kind of snail
which I am also trying to eradicate by plucking them out on a daily
basis.

This method worked once before, although I may have been lucky to have
caught the problem very early. This time I've been at it for a week so
far.

I don't feel too comfortable nuking the tank with chemicals and would
do this as a last resort only. I've also prefer not to have to harm
the friendly Malaysian snails which seem to not bother my plants.

Also, maybe it's just me but I have kept fairly large sized Yo Yo
Loaches (a.k.a. Pakistani Loaches), and currently have four five inch
Clown Loaches in a 33 gallon tank. Neither species ever displayed
aggressive tendencies towards their tank mates.

Good luck to anybody with a snail problem.

Regards,

Sharp Tooth