Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Sacha

Default Progress reports?

Simon Matterface12/2/04 9:32

I've only recently moved to Devon and have found the climate quite
remarkable. Not sure if this winter has been a one off, but locals seem to
think it's quite normal.

The Rosemary's have been bloomin' for weeks down here in Torquay, most
shrubs and climbers are showing plenty of new growth (buddleias, acers,
photinia, honeysuckle, climbing roses, boston ivy and virginia creeper) . My
new lawn, seeded a couple of months ago, due to the clement weather and my
impatience, has taken well and has been cut once already.

My conservatory is full of seed trays and pots with stuff ready to go out
into the garden before I've even decided where it's all going.

Couldn't be happier...

snip

Torquay being on the sea has a milder climate than we have, even though
we're only a few miles away as the crow flies (between Totnes and Ashburton)
and things there are often much earlier than they are with us, so in that
sense the locals are right. But in general, things are earlier than usual
in others parts of the county. I think the long warm autumn must have
something to do with it, too because our mimosa tree is flowering its socks
off - I've never seen one do so well. And to add to its glory, it's a
sucker from one that was blown down about 10 years ago.
It's grown and spread enormously and is an absolutely picture just now, if
only people would look UP!!! Some very nice visitors to the nursery walked
all round the garden yesterday, visited the Baskerville grave in the
churchyard and started to walk back up the path. I asked them if they'd
enjoyed the mimosa tree and they hadn't even noticed it! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk