Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Frogleg

Default Origin of greenhouses?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:24:36 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

Here's a site with *some* info, 'though not a specific answer to your
question.

http://www.sfasu.edu/ag/horticulture...enhouse%20hist
ory%20-%20trends.htm

That's very interesting and informative, too. It looks as if that story
could well be true then. Thanks very much indeed.

It was interesting to find that greenhouse arrangements well pre-date
glass. Gardeners are a determined lot. I can well imagine a neighbor
of the person who first made glass saying, "Say, I'll bet I can start
my peas early with this!" never mind the prospect of replacing oiled
sheepskin in his windows.

I believe 'the Spanish Prisoner' is a classic confidence scam,
although not usually associated with 1588.