Old 05-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Fertilizer Preferences

Bill,

I'm not sure that a blossom booster will help much, but have read that
excess nitrogen is a negative for blooming.

If you are diligent about repotting before the bark-based medium gets too
sour, then the extra nitrogen formula you've been using may be unnecessary.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Bill Landers" wrote in message
Hi Everyone-
I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I checked the

newsgroup
archive and didn't find what I was looking for.

I have been growing orchids for a number of years (mostly phals and

species
paphs: venustum, hirsutissimum, spicerianum, armeniacum, micranthum), on

the
windowsill, in a barked-based medium. I use Peters 30-10-10 for
fertilizing, with okay, not great results. I have never used a blossom
boosting fertilizer. I have some multifloral phals that I have never
achieved the branching inflorescences that I would like to see. My

question
is two-fold: would I really do that much better with a blossom booster
fertilizer (would you have to apply this according to the individual

plant's
bloom season), and second, I would like to get some input on Dyna-Gro
fertilizer as an alternative to Peters. Thanks in advance.

Bill Landers