Old 13-02-2004, 06:12 AM
gregpresley

Default High Sierras Gardening

Hi Peggy, the high Sierra climate you're talking about will have a short
growing season, but lots of possibilities for interesting conifers - dwarf
alberta spruce, alpine firs, etc. It also will be ideal for many kinds of
hardy perennials - columbines, delphiniums, peonies, penstemons, etc.- and
lots of rock garden plants that languish in warmer climates - aubrietas,
saxifrages, alyssums, moss phloxes, etc. Also, some gorgeous annuals that
are hard to grow elsewhere where the nights are too warm will do well there.
Iceland poppies will bloom all summer, pansies, calendula, larkspurs,
shirley poppies, california poppies, etc. Most of this display will be
crammed between June 1st and Sept. 15th, but lots of folks don't have the
gorgeous mountain and lake scenery to look at in the dull of winter either.
"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peg, who will soon be cultivating a tumbleweed