Old 13-02-2004, 08:32 AM
TanQ10

Default Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms?

Hello--

How do i tell if my Dragon Tree has root rot?

Background: This is my first house tree - i've had it 9 months, the
top 3 shoots (4 ft originally) have grown about 8 inches each, it has
been in a sunny room, in a corner farthest from the porch doors about
10 ft away) so i would say it gets diffused bright light - we live in
Hawaii, so it's moderately humid and i water on average every 10 days,
after checking the top 1" of soil. The plant is in it's original
potted soil, in a pot about 10" in diameter, 14" deep.

A few weeks ago, the smalllest/newest 2 shoots lost all their leaves,
then started sprouting new baby leaves at the top. I noticed the 2
stems, the top 3 inches, had a healthy looking bright green, with
bright green baby leaves. Now these two stems are very soft to the
touch, and the outer 'bark' is very papery and thin - I could almost
slide it off like a glove?? The baby leaves, which got to about an
inch long only, turned yellow/brown and fell off. What is going on?? I
checked the leaves on the other healthy shoots and noticed no spider
mites or anything bad in the soil. Did i overwater somehow? Is the pot
not draining? Do i need to change the soil and put the plant in
brighter light?

Thanks in advance for your replies
-T