Old 13-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Janet Bledsoe

Default High Sierras Gardening

Hi Peg,

It can't be that bad, can it? First I would like to recommend that
you pick up the Sunset Western Garden Book. A great tool for those
living in the Western U.S. Your area, I believe is sunset zone 10,
and I see no reason why you can't grow plants that if nothing else
will give a Cottage Garden effect. If nothing less, see if there is a
garden society there or in Carson City, a great way to network and
learn about your area.

I'm envious because, looking at some of the zone 10 plants you can
plant, I see Lilacs on the list. Something I can not grow in the
lower desert valleys of Arizona. It looks like there is a host of
wonderful perennials you can grow. Rocky Mountain Columbines,
Bluebells of Scotland (Campanula rotundifolia), some wonderful
Penstemon's.

Some wonderful foliage plants. Blue Spruce - now I'm real jealous
Do pick up the wonderful Sunset Western Gardener book. It opens up a
world of opportunities for you. Listing all the plants you can grow
in your Sunset Zone 10.

Janet

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:16:21 GMT, "Peggy"
wrote:

Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peg, who will soon be cultivating a tumbleweed