Old 13-02-2004, 01:40 PM
martin

Default Mountain Gardening

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:13:47 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Peggy wrote:

Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peggy,

This is a UK group. Our highest point is Ben Nevis which is 4409 feet
above sea level. Nothing much grows above 3000 ft here.

AFAIR from driving up there in thick fog Sequoia National Park is
above 6000'.
Redwoods grow well!
http://www.americansouthwest.net/cal...onal_park.html

"Big trees are the prime attraction of Sequoia National Park - many
groves of the remarkable giant sequoia are found scattered along the
moist, west-facing slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains, between
elevations of 5,000 and 7,000 feet. The scale and grandeur of these
reddish giants is quite stunning, and there are many easy foot trails
that wind through the woody groves leading to quiet undisturbed
places, ideal to contemplate the ambience of the forest."

and for Lake Tahoe vegetation look at
http://eh2o.saic.com/tiimsWebsite/Co...n/default.html
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad