Old 13-02-2004, 02:50 PM
shazzbat

Default Parsnips

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...
I have had a very low success rate with parsnips, they just don't show.

have tried several varieties including tender and true, Avon resister

and
student. This year I am intending to try the method of germinating them

on
wet tissue paper and then transplanting. Has anybody tried this? With

what
success? And how big do you let them get before planting out?

The best method Ive tried for growing Parsnips was from the "Kitchen

Garden"
magazine a few years ago.
Get yourself a stock of old clean potting compost, then mark your row,

every
9inches push a rod into the soil to a good depth and push the rod around
until you have made a deep cone shaped hole, fill this with your potting
compost, tamping it down lightly to ensure no air pockets. Then plant

three
seeds on the top of each hole covering lightly with more compost.
Keep the row moist and eventually you will see germination, they are slow

germinate, it take weeks. Reduce the plants to one per hole and await a
harvest.
Last year was about the driest and hottest I've ever known and we got the
best crop of perfectly clean parsnips ever.

I can definitely see myself trying that. I'd heard of the principle of
making the cone shape etc, but only in relation to show standard carrots.

Thanks

Steve