Old 13-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] {SPAM} [IBC] Email as attachments

Craig Cowing wrote:

"Maybe I shouldn't let out a big secret, but with a Mac viruses are not an
issue. I
don't even use virus software."

Craig;

I realize you're more than happy with your MAC, but don't forget, you're
capable of passing along Trojan Horses, Virus, Worms etc. etc. etc. by
simply forwarding an infected email.

Take my daughter-in-law as an example.
She received a virus from one of her infected clients.
You're correct, didn't bother her MAC at all.
She spread it to all her XP networked partners by forwarding it to them
asking "What's this? It won't run on my computer" !!!!

Took me hours to fix.

The only reason there aren't many MAC virus (Trojan horses, worms, etc) is
because there aren't many MACs.
The legion of virus creators won't waste time writing a virus for a handful
of MAC computers when they can attack hundreds of millions of MS boxes.

I personally believe that virus authors are doing both MS and it's legions
of users a great favor by exposing the shortcomings in the operating systems
and the programs. The more attacks on MS boxes, the stronger MS and it's
users become.

For those of us who choose (or are forced) to run MS computers, I suggest
you keep your anti-virus database updated daily.
I personally use AVG's "Network Edition" to protect my network of MS
computers, by automatically updating my anti-virus database every night at 1
AM, then passing the latest info along to each of my computers.
AVG has a free version at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php that
works great for personal use.
The secret is to automatically update the database FREQUENTLY.

FYI .... McAfee has a good MAC anti-virus software package called Virex,
that's available on a 60 day free trial basis at
http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_antivirus.html. I've never tried it so I
can't comment on it's usefulness.

Mark Hill