Old 06-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Fertilizer Preferences

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:58:47 -0500, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
wrote:

Bill,

I'm not sure that a blossom booster will help much, but have read that
excess nitrogen is a negative for blooming.

If you are diligent about repotting before the bark-based medium gets too
sour, then the extra nitrogen formula you've been using may be unnecessary.

I have to agree with Ray. I have heard several speakers say that
if your going to just use one general fertilizer you should use
an evenly balanced one. Then you are not deciding for the plant
what it wants, and it has what ever it needs available.

Nitrogen is known for 'pushing lush green growth' at the expense
of flowers. Is that not what we use to "green up" our spring
lawn? A high nitrogen formula always works if it does not burn
the lawn.
SuE