Old 13-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Preparation for lawn

The message
from (John Horne) contains these words:

Could anyone be kind enough to answer the following questions...?

a. I plan to give it another good spray to kill off any dormant weeds, what
should I use to ensure that the moss gets the good news as well?

Glyphosate.

b. When should I sow, and do I need to do anything else before that?

I'd leave it until March. Scatter some whiting. (Powdered chalk) Sow
seed. Rake in. If you can, sprinkle a mixture of sand and peat over it.
Cover with net or floss to deter birds.

Failing that, get some really large reels of black cotton/nylon thread
and criss-cross it across the area about 6" above the ground.

c. What grass seed should I use, bearing in mind I live in Southern
Scotland.
Something slow growing and hardy would be ideal, and where should I purchase
such seeds?

You'll have to ask locally - any shepherd should be able to tell you
where to get bulk 'reeseeding' from.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/