Old 13-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Bumblebee

Default Squirrel repellent?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:08:46 +1100, Trish Brown wrote:

Bumblebee wrote:

Unfortunately the majority of birds flying over our homes in suburbia
are sparrows, mynas and pigeons. We have quite a few Eucalypts in our
suburb however and Magpies pay us a visit for up to a week at a time.
During their stay listening to their song is a delight.

Is it just me, or are other suburban dwellers noticing more and more native
birds coming back??? Especially the parrots?

I think so, we *do* have a small variety of Parrots and sometimes a
flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos will arrive and spend a few hours
with us. In our area it wouldn't have happened a few years back, we
feel it is due to cleaning up what use to be known as "Newport Tip".

My hope is that councils will come to understand the benefits of redressing the
'bad' stuff we've done to our localities and try to gradually put it right. I
think the informed decision to limit the influence of cats, dogs and other
domestic pet animals on wildlife is a step in the right direction.

Newport Quarry, later known as the Newport Tip is within a few
kilometres of where I live. Our Council cleaned up the area a bit.
Perhaps I may be under stating what they have achieved vbg
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~fonl/history/dreamtime.html

Mind you, I'm
not saying get *rid* of such animals! I'm simply asking that people think hard
about the effects they can have and try to keep their companion animals in such
a way as to minimise their damage. That sounded really A-bout-face, but y'know
what I mean?

Councils in our area are trying to educate people regarding their
responsibility in owning a dog or cat. They encourage microchip
implants so if a dog or cat is found wandering it can be returned to
its owner, although with an appropriate fine.
--

Chris Bee