Old 14-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Kay Easton

Default Disaster new garden cont....

In article m, kafifa
writes

So I think I will start with the flowerbed/border. I don;t think the
soil is very good, as we moved in last september and there wasn't
anything very nice growing in the borders! We have just had out
driveway done, and the soil that was dug out has been deposited in a
heap in our garden - we're told that this soil is the best kind of soil
and to use it on our garden. Shall I dig out like a foot of the old
soil in the borders are replace it with this soil? I think that would
go a long way towards getting started..?

I'd be inclined just to spread 6inches deep of new soil on top of the
borders. All that digging is a bit backbreaking and will seem a much
larger job when you get about a third of the way through.

Start a compost heap, then each year spread compost 6 inches deep.
You'll find the worms will mix it for you, and it goes down in height -
you won't find your borders getting 6 inches higher each year.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: