Old 14-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Disaster new garden cont....

The message m
from kafifa contains these words:

Hi, thanks for the replies - they made me feel better, i really was
imagining some herculean ground force style task! I saved your replies
to refer to later.

I moved to South Woodford, London, my garden in north facing so I
think this causes problems cos it doesn;t get much sun. As for the
previous owners - they had 3 dogs, 3 children and 3 cats, and didn't
take care of anything much in or out of the house - I don't think they
touched the garden except to mow the patchy lawn bit!

I know South Woodford: it will be clay, mainly, but luckily for you, I
think you're too high for it to be London clay, which is yellow, with
the consistency of bread pudding.

I don't really know what kind of soil I have - it doesn;t drain well I
know that much! Its dry....sorry not much info there!

So I think I will start with the flowerbed/border. I don;t think the
soil is very good, as we moved in last september and there wasn't
anything very nice growing in the borders! We have just had out
driveway done, and the soil that was dug out has been deposited in a
heap in our garden - we're told that this soil is the best kind of soil
and to use it on our garden. Shall I dig out like a foot of the old
soil in the borders are replace it with this soil? I think that would
go a long way towards getting started..?

Just build the beds up - you'll get better drainage. You might mix some
with sand and/or peat when it's dry, and sprinkle it very thinly on the
lawn(s), and dispose of it that way. It won't harm the lawn as long as
you don't smother the grass.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/