Old 14-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Andrew G

Default Birds nest ferns mix

Hi all.
Is there a special mix needed for birds nests ferns in pots?
I currently have 2 small ones I saved from my Fathers old property (as well
as other ferns) with the owners permission before total destruction.
I bought potting mix as well as orchid mix which I was going to combine for
a very aerated mix, but have been told by a workmate that it won't hold
enough moisture and that his are growing in poor natural soil in his yard
(actually the person who visits this NG from Wingham NSW may be able to tell
me the natural soil type there, that's where he's from).
Do they keep well in pots, say for 3 years, or any other ways I could use
them? They were naturally growing on logs.
Anyways that's about it, but I really don't want do kill them and even
though I did my trade in parks and gardens horticulture I don't have much
experience with ferns.
Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and I know removal of such plants is kinda illegal, but you try hearing
that all these ferns are going to die, ones you saw and admired when you
were a kid. I hate to even think of the large stags up in the trees that I
couldn't get to are going to die anyway.