Old 14-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Email as attachments

Folks

Problem solved. I love those folks at Pacific Internet:

Message from Tech Support:

Hi Brent,

Actually, that's not Postini that you're seeing.

It's a second layer of anti-spam protection that we have, known

as
SpamAssassin. It operates independently of and in addition to

Postini. I
have opted you out of SpamAssassin.

Brent (and others)

I think Spam Assassin is what MY ISP uses. It is VERY effective!
It is available for individual users, I think. Google it. That
and my use of Mailwasher, has eliminated 98% of the spam that
gets through. Mailwasher also often collects viruses, too, just
because of how they're sent. It does NOT replace an up-to-date
virus checker.

There is a way to opt yourself out of certain e-mail (like IBC)
and my ISP lets us do it ourselves. If yours doesn't, I'd
recommend that you ask you ISP guy to put you in, then tell him
which e-mails you REALLY want to see and to zap attachments.
Otherwise, you may not have the protection you need.

If you read ONLY on the mailing list, you will NOT get a virus
with list messages.

SOME small attachments -- those &^%$# electronic "signatures"
that M'soft allows (and may have as default for Outlook Express
6) and the attachments for small e-mails not sent originally as
text only -- can sometimes get through, since the No Attachments
feature is mostly based on the size of the file. These are much
too small (2-4K) for viruses, though.

Now let's talk bonsai.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++