Old 14-02-2004, 04:32 PM
WiGard

Default Dracaena marginata (indoor) - White insect attack

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:30:18 -0800, Uncle_Jarvis wrote:

Hi,

We've had a Dracaena marginata indoors since about Christmas. It's doing
great, new growth has been developing and all seemed well.

Then we noticed some white 'fluff' at the base of the new growth areas at
the top of the branches. On closer inspection we can also see what look
like small white woodlouse. More worryingly, these are eating away at the
leaves.

We purchased some Provado Bug Killer from the local nursery but this
doesn't seem to have helped. Particularly as the 'white fluff' (which I
presume is eggs?) is deep in the base of the new leaves.

What can we do to get rid of these bugs? Does anyone know what they are?

Many thanks in advance.

I have a home remedy which seems to work find on some houseplant insects.

1/4 cup of denatured alcohol (isopropyl)
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp of Dawn brand dish soap

Put in a spray bottle and spray the plant.
Monitor the plant.
Repeat the spray about 2 weeks later.
If there is additional activity, repeat again.

I have tried this on tropical hibiscus with no negative effect on the
plant. I had spider mites. They are now gone.

Sometimes I have noticed that soil which never seems to dry out attracts
critters. Keeping a gentle breeze across plants may help. You have to
decide for yourself.

If my brew works, please post. This is a formula that I have been using
for about 6 months with no adverse effects. It needs more testing to make
sure it is the inexpensive and viable control that it seems to be.