Old 14-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Amber L.

Default Dracaena marginata (indoor) - White insect attack

WiGard wrote:

I have a home remedy which seems to work find on some houseplant insects.

1/4 cup of denatured alcohol (isopropyl)
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp of Dawn brand dish soap

Put in a spray bottle and spray the plant.
Monitor the plant.
Repeat the spray about 2 weeks later.
If there is additional activity, repeat again.

I have tried this on tropical hibiscus with no negative effect on the
plant. I had spider mites. They are now gone.

Sometimes I have noticed that soil which never seems to dry out attracts
critters. Keeping a gentle breeze across plants may help. You have to
decide for yourself.

If my brew works, please post. This is a formula that I have been using
for about 6 months with no adverse effects. It needs more testing to make
sure it is the inexpensive and viable control that it seems to be.

Suggest you substitute 2 cups muriatic acid for the 3/4 cup of water.
It is available at any swimming pool supply store and works wonders on
insects.