Old 14-02-2004, 07:32 PM
dkra

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

x-no-archive: yes

In article , Katra
wrote:

snip

In the case of something that has a pit, the animal in question
generally drags the fruit away to eat elsewhere, but doesn't swallow the
pit.

In the case of nuts, the tree grossly overproduces. The nuts that the
squirrel buries but never digs up is the nut that grows.

Gods. I know. I have been digging up and cutting up pecan trees all over
the yard due to squirrels and a tree down the street!

snip

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (Sunset Zone 16/17, USDA Zone 9) and
there are avocado trees (with fruit) around my neighborhood. I've found a
couple of healthy avocado seedlings (one in an outdoor pot, one in the
ground) near the house, likely planted by squirrels who probably mistook
the pits for black walnuts from another tree nearby. ;-)

A nice site to visit is http://www.avocado.org, for tips on home avocado
culture.

-- dkra

--
dkraatmmiiidotixdotnetcomdotcom
[Subtract two thousand and (one plus two), plus the "." of course.]