Old 14-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Camellia leaves eaten

On 14 Feb 2004 17:30:22 GMT, (SueFitton6) wrote:

Any suggestions about what may be eating the edges of my camellias? Some also
appear to have 'rusty' leaves. I live in N Wales.

Vine and other weevils can nibble at the edges of camellia leaves,
producing rounded notches. The weevils hide during the day, but emerge
at night. If you have the camellias in pots, you may also have vine
weevil larvae noshing the roots. The 'rust' is probably corky scab,
quite commonly seen on c.jap. Adolphe Audusson (red semi-double),
often be due to too much or too strong sunshine.

Both features are more unsightly than harmful, but vine weevils at the
roots might be a touch more serious if you have them.

--
Chris