Old 15-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Grass seed

Rusty wrote in message after Kafifa...
I wanted to know if the 'miracle seed' stuff that advertises in
gardening magazines is ok to use?

If it's advertised in magazines you're paying for the adverts as well as
the seed, and as most old gits^^^^gardeners know where to get the stuff
for a fraction of the cost, that cost will be largely for advertising to
catch the few who will have to pay for it.

Quite agree, look around for loose seed if you can or failing that get it
from a normal Garden Centre. You will need to get seed that is suitable for
your purpose btw i.e. if it's just to look at then use finer grass, if it's
for kids to play on then you need hardwearing rye grass mixtures etc.

As I said, even with some TLC it will take the best part of this summer for
it to look like a real Lawn, no matter what sort of seed you use, expensive
or cheap. The important thing is to not let it dry out in the summer, water
it and keep it growing. Hope you have a good sharp mower too and DON'T cut
it too short which is a common cause of a patchy looking lawn.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars