Old 15-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Spelling issues

First of all, I wonder about someone who hides behind the name
anonymous.

Secondly, I lived abroad for several years studying the language in that
country,
so I know what it means to try and communicate in your second language.
Although I never did it while living abroad, if I wrote a letter to the
newspapers, etc.,
I would have had one of my native friends check my language. Despite
all that,
I think that many of these postings are coming from English speaking
countries
and the issue is more that they were probably never properly trained to
spell.
However, these people do know enough to compose a message and send it to
a news group.
All they have to do is invoke a spell checker. You can bet if these
people are adding
up their bills or balancing their checking accounts, they use a
calculator to be sure everything is correct, if their arithmetic is on
the
weak side. Most of the messages on the newsgroups are pretty good
about
spelling, and an occasional error is not a problem. However, some of
the
messages I see are atrocious, and makes you wonder how some of these
people made it
past the second grade. If there weren't these nice tools like spell
checkers available,
I would say this is something we have to accept, but that is not the
case. The sad thing
is that most of these spelling offenders are not even aware that they
are making these mistakes.

Sherwin Dubren

Anonymous wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:07:37 +0000, Sherwin Dubren wrote:

Well Jack,
I was just waiting for some wise ass

^^^^^^^^

VERY 'professional', Sherwin.

Has it ever occurred to you that, due to the international appeal of the
Internet, not everyone who posts here has English as their native tongue?
Some speak English as their second or third language and the intricacies
of its spelling rules is lost on them.

All the more reason to invoke an automated spelling check.

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)