Old 15-02-2004, 06:42 AM
The Ranger

Default Spelling issues

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
[snip]
But really, who cares?

Repressed grammarians? Editors in Real Life® and Fantasy? Litterateur? Those
that appreciate clarity in thought and verse when presented it as a form of
communcation in a newsgroup?

If you can figure out what the person means in a world
wide forum then that should be good enough.

This is a weak arguement used to support terrible habits. For those that
don't have English as a second language, there /is/ no excuse (and that's
allowing for the differences in English vs. American spellings as well as
any localizated terms). Bad spelling, just like poor writing and speaking,
are habits that should be avoided and the only way of doing that is breaking
them prior posting a message for the world to see. If you can't take the
time to reduce the simple errors (and I'm not talking latin spellings or
scientific terms that work at tangling tongue and fingers alike), then the
message will be viewed as less important than one that is [mostly]
error-free by someone that took a few extra seconds to check it.

This "extra time" and effort work to distill a rambling thought AND tighten
missed or off comments. And written communications could always use
more-specific meanings; it's not like vocalization where you have extra
hints at what the person is saying.

The Ranger

ObJalapeños: Both my plants are STILL producing peppers! They're slightly
more mild and if I let them grow too large they get woody but they're fine
in stews!