Old 15-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Default a strange question

"donald girod" wrote in
:

The last couple of years I have found mosquitoes in my house in the
dead of winter (like, it's January in western New York, the
temperature is hovering around 5 degrees, and I find the occasional
mosquito flying around the house). We don't generally get mosquitoes
in the house in the summer, when there are relatively lots of them
around, and I can't imagine how we can have them now. They never have
blood in them, so I don't think we are being bitten, but there they
are.

Do mosquitoes ever breed indoors? It would seem impossible, since
laying eggs requires blood, and if they were breeding, we would have
been bitten. I'm thinking that they could be using the trap in our
shower, which we rarely use (we have two bathrooms and one is enough
for two people), but it doesn't seem reasonable. They could be
hibernating in the attic, I suppose--it is very warm right next to the
ceiling under 12" of insulation. But it would be hard for them to get
into the house from there.

I have never seen this phenomenon before the last couple of
years--does this happen to other people?

are you quite sure they are mosquitoes and not some other small annoying
insect?

but yeah, you might have better luck with in the groups somebody else
suggested