Old 15-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default New subscriber and a geranium question

In article , Eugene Gilmartin
writes
Hi

Just to say hello to all, having just subscribed.

I have an immediate question regarding geraniums.

Having had about 50 germinate from seed and being short of space, could I
ask how I now should grow them on?

30 are quite advanced with about 3-4 true leaves and 2 inches high. Is an
unheated greenhouse okay for all but the coldest nights (I live in North
Leeds)? Feeding? And finally at what stage should I pinch out?

Presumably you mean pelargonium - as in bright red and pink flowers -
rather than hardy geranium - subdued pinks and blues?

I have a pelargonium which lives happily all year round in an unheated
porch in NW Leeds. Your greenhouse will be a bit colder, because it
won't get the heat from the house. And the pelargoniums won't like the
frost. And of course mine is a tough old plant, not a tender young
seedling. They'll appreciate the extra light. But don't just put them
straight out there - take several days of putting them out for longer
periods and harden them off.

Don't feel you need to grow on *all* of those which have germinated, if
you won't have use for 50 plants in the future.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: