Old 15-02-2004, 03:32 PM
madgardener

Default Safe to compost Pointsettia?

they ARE a member of the Euphorbia family. Ingesting the leaves cause
nausea, vomiting and some hallucinations. The meeting at Lowes with the
plant people basically said it would take about 500 leaves to seriously
injure an average weight child. That's some serious grazing. Same thing with
pets. They KNOW what not to eat unlike nibbling children.............A child
will nibble something because it's pretty or colorful. Animals have those
sophisticated senses of smell. And since it has an expurgative effect, you'd
have some colorful ralph to clean up. By the way, the common houseplant,
philodendrum is poisonous.......and the potato, when allowed to get too
green from sunlight can really make you sick as potato's are from the
belladonna family. I've never had a problem with anything eating the shoots
of potato's that grew out of my compost pile and I peel my taters deeply to
get past the green if they get too much sunlight before I can cook them all.
madgardener
"Rebecca Lovelace" wrote in message
om...
People put poisonous plants in their compost piles all the time, they

just
don't realize it.

Oh, like potato fruit?

Thanks, all. I don't usually have pointsettias so I wasn't sure how
toxic they were, only that you need to be careful if you have
plant-eating pets.
Rebecca