Old 15-02-2004, 04:00 PM
gribbee

Default Wanting to keep tads ALIVE this year.

"jammer" wrote in message

Hi,
I have the 70 gallon preformed pondlet in the backyard. Last year i
had lots of toad spawn. I put most of them in a plastic tub with
plants and shelter and food. They were dead in no time. I was afraid
of anomia spike in the small pond and that is why i moved them. This
year i am afraid if i leave them and they die, that my 3 goldfish will
also die. Then again, goldfish are rather hardy. I have no pump, etc.
I run the aerator day and night for 2 months in the summer if it
isn't raining. (I use the long orange trouble light cord when i want
light out there and plug the aerator into that)

Should i do frequent water changes when the tads come and hope for the
best? I don't want everyone to die this time. I felt so bad.

I also have this (sorry, don't recall the name) bag with little white
rocks (?) that i am supposed to rinse every two weeks for ammonia
control.

Get a cheap submersible pump, some tubing, a 2+ gallon plant pot and some
pea gravel. Put the tube on the pump, pump in the water and the outlet of
the tube towards the top of the pot. Fill pot with gravel and set it so it
drains through the gravel and back into the pond. You can plant mint or
something in the gravel. This trickle tower/bio filter will make your water
cleaner, aerate and eat the ammonia for about the same electricity as the
aerator.

I have a similar arrangement with a pondlet twice the size and way too many
fish but I hatched three or four batches of hundreds of teeny toads last
year.