Old 15-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default cymbidium potting mix?

Mark,

Greetings from Port St. Lucie. I've got two Cyms, one, a warm growing
species in S/H and the other (which has a warm growing parent) in Spaghnum.
Both are doing fine.

Diana

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:26:19 -0500, "Mark Blomeke"
wrote:

What would you recommend for a potting mix for south florida

(loxahatchee).
I only have one of these (cymbidium) now and keep having problems with

root
rot in a typical fir bark mix. I water the same as my cattleyas which
suffer no ill effects. I have cut my watering way back with my current

mix,
however does anyone have any suggestions in regards to mix or watering
schedule? I was under the impression that they needed as much water as
cattleyas. It is in a plastic pot now, should I go to a clay pot?

Thanx

I will guess you are growing the Chinese Cym. that like it
warmer. So you need a Taller than normal pot. IF I were to grow
in mix it would be in a nursery pot that is at least twice as
tall as wide if not more.

I would rather grow in S/H. The cym. I have in S/H have grown
such strong roots they have broken 2 plastic pots in the last two
years. If you have not grown Semi-Hydro go to www.firstrays.com
and read about it. It works for many plants.
We have Phrag, Paphs, Cym. and Some Onc types in S/H.

Good Luck
SuE