Old 15-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Ray Drouillard

Default Is organic gardening viable?

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Ivan McDonagh wrote:

*** note the cross post ***

Hi all

I have just finished reading an online book "Chemicals, Humus, and

The
Soil" written by Donald P. Hopkins. This book is available through

the
agriculture library at http://www.soilandhealth.org.

thanks for the url. Looks very helpful.

...snip.....

Although Mr Hopkins has discussed this matter in the
context of commercial farming it seems to me that as home growers we

are
also looking for best yield for least cost (direct and labour) and

that
the arguments he presents are mostly just as valid for home growers

as
for commercial.

Umm , I think different people garden for different reasons. Having a
vegetable garden is an optional activity for most people these days

and
those that have them do so for different reasons.

Some of the ideas are;
1) it is a relaxing activity,
2) greater variety of foods,
3) greater variety of types,
4) reduced agricultural chemical intake,
5) self reliance,
6) skill development,
7) other.

Don't forget the big reason: