Old 16-02-2004, 12:12 AM
mikey

Default "Tale of Woe"... suggestions?

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:
Electricity? Yes, finally. Extension cord? I'm a little apprehensive about
using one since it would have to travel from my house, through an area that
has flooded [in an icy sort of way] a couple of times in this week, before
getting to the pond.

Mila

wrote in message

you dont have electricity? an extension cord?

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote:

So far I've been drilling holes every day... getting electricity anywhere
near the pond still hasn't happened. So I drill, then pray for a thaw,
drill, then pray for a thaw, drill, then pray for a thaw...

You get the picture, I imagine

Mila

No disrespect, nor personal intended Mila, but it truly amazes me that
many people will think nothing of running 100-200 feet of extension cord
across their yard or "swimming pool" to run a Halloween or Christmas
lights display. A display that probably draws 2-3 times the amperes of
electricity, than a small heater and/or air pump draws, but are afraid
to run one 25-100 feet to "Protect" their precious fish or pond.

I have had one run, 50 feet, across the backyard to the 100 gal preform
pond since last May, with no ill effects, just remember to connect it to
a Ground-fault receptical. I use a portable GF right at the pond on mine.
(see it @ http://www.ourkoipond.com/PondPics2.htm)

My set up draws about 4.5 amps (300 watt aquarium heater, 200 watt pump,
and 50 watt air pump) I use a 50 foot 14/3 gauge outdoor type cord. It
can safely carry 15 amps (3X what it presently carries)

The problems arise when people try to take the really cheap, cheap way
out and use several of the 6' Home Depot $.89 (2 wire) extensions. That
are meant to be used on a table lamp.

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

just my $.02

-- Microsoft XP --- "X"tra "P"atches, "X"tra "P"roblems, "X"tra
"P"rofit, "X"tra "P"ain, "X"tra "P"anic, "X"tra "P"athetic, "Xtra
"P"ernicious --- take your "P"ick