Old 16-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Kay Easton

Default Specimen tree

In article , andrewpreece
writes
Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

It's a bit of a cliche but Robinia Pseudoacacia "Frisia" looks a
candidate, though I'm disappointed to see it doesn't flower. Other
candidates are Mimosa, some form of Japanese maple that I could trim in the
"cloud" style perhaps, maybe even the humble hawthorn ( I found one growing
at the bottom of my garden the other day, it's still only small ).

There are many other species of Crataegus (hawthorn). We have one with
faintly downy leaves and *huge* hips. Not particularly great for autumn
colour, but they give the flowers and the fruit.

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here!

Amalenchier - good spring colour, flowers, berries, stunning autumn
colour - but more of a tall bush than a tree. Sorbus (mountain ash and
relatives) - flowers, fruit, autumn colour, light delicate foliage.
Choose from yellow, orange, white or pink berries. Snake bark maple -
autumn colour and attractive bark in winter - but not sure it'd like
full sun.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: