Old 16-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Victoria Clare

Default New subscriber and a geranium question

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Eugene Gilmartin
writes
Thanks but the key question is/was - Is an unheated greenhouse okay
for all but the coldest nights (I live in North Leeds)? Feeding?

I think I answered that by g9iving you my experience in an unheated
porch. And since I live within 10 miles of you, I think it was
probably as good an answer as you could reasonably expect.

Um, I think it may also depends on what pelargoniums he is growing.

I have 6 'barbe bleu' (ivyleaved, dark purple flowers) in my greenhouse
which have definitely suffered badly this (relatively warm, mild) winter.
I am not sure I'm going to be able to save them, but they will definitely
have to be cut right back to remove the cold damage.

If they make it, next winter they are going in my utility room.

I have a couple of scented pels in the greenhouse that have overwintered
happily for years, and still look perfectly cheerful, and I had previously
believed that an unheated greenhouse would be more than enough protection
for pelargoniums.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill