Old 16-02-2004, 01:12 PM
John McGaw

Default How to Find Pawpaws in the Wild?

"Peter Chrisbacher" wrote in message
I grew up in northern New Jersey and can't remember ever having come
across a Pawpaw tree in the wild - it seems like I was just outside
their range.

I now live in southeastern pennsylvania and I'd like to locate some
wild pawpaws, hopefully nearby, with the intent of obtaining some seed
and/or seedlings/suckers so I can establish a couple of "wild" trees in
my yard (along with some named varieties I have on order). I'm
specifically interested in wild trees - not cultivated ones.

Can anyone give me any "tricks" for finding pawpaw trees or know of
locations where they've seen pawpaws growing wild in PA, DE, NJ, or MD?
I'd be willing to travel an hour or two to see/find them.

Thanks

Pete Chrisbacher

Easy enough to find if you know what you're looking for -- I come across
wild ones all the time while I'm hiking. But I'd suggest that you avoid
moving a wild one. Far easier to buy some of the domesticated varieties:
http://www.blossomnursery.com/
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]