Old 16-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Orchids easy?

I suppose everyone has a different definition of "easy." And location
certainly plays a big role -- here in south Florida most warm-growers can be
hung outside in a tree and Mother Nature will provide most of their care.

But my experience with the "green" vs. "black" thumb folks, when it comes to
"houseplants," has been exactly the reverse of yours. I find that people
who are good with "dirt plants" tend to overwater, overfeed and overpot
their orchids. People like me, who tend to neglect such plants to death, on
the other hand, usually take to orchids very easily.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Kenni,

This is something that's bothered me since I started growing orchids.

In my opinion, orchids are not easy to grow, when compared with the rest

of
the houseplants most people grow.

People will only find orchids easy to grow if they have a strong interest

in
them. If there is no intrinsic interest in orchids as a hobby, the orchids
die very quickly. This is from personal experience with friends, across

all
age ranges.

It also helps to have a "green thumb" - i.e. being tuned into how to take
care of a plant. When I go through the very basic steps necessary to grow

Home Depot type pot-plant orchid, 99% of the people stop me after about

two
sentences and say "I'm sorry, I will never do ANY of that - I'll just give
it to someone else when the blooms fall off"

For those people who don't want to be bothered to do more than water once

month and be able to forget to water once in awhile, orchids are hard. I
recommend cactus and succulents for those people. =)

Even phalaenopsis will croak on you if you forget to water them two weeks

in
a row in the summer, and oh, gosh, I thought putting them by that bright
window with 3 hours of afternoon sun would be good for them.

For those people with even the slightest interest in growing orchids and
other plants, today's hybrids are very easy and rewarding to grow.

However,
it's been my experience that most people want plants to magically start
blooming with wildly exotic blooms with only minimal of care and thought.

-Eric in SF

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Ditto the write-up that AOBEI got in the Naples Daily News a few weeks
ago -- conventional wisdom says there's no such thing as bad publicity,

but
the photographer chose a common dendrobium for the pic, and the quote

the
paper used was from a guy who liked orchids because he found them
"challenging" due to the amount of care required.

There were much more spectacular orchids on display, and I'm sure there

HAD
to be 50 other people in the place [not including the vendors] who

could've
told the truth about how easy they are to grow ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Janet,

Thanks for posting that. We get the NY Times every day, but they

missed
us
on Thursday, so I wasn't aware of the article. They do make orchids

sound
kind of hard to grow though, don't they?

Diana