Old 16-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Chris Boulby

Default Hedge Problem

In message , mlv
writes
Last weekend I cut down a beech hedge that had got seriously out of control.
I now need to re-plant the hedge.

A couple of years ago, I also severely cut back a conifer hedge and this
resulted in the bare trunks being exposed. Most of the conifer trees have
not recovered, but there is one exception. This particular conifer has
regrown directly from the trunk and right down to ground level. The naked
trunk has bushed out with new, dense growth and looks really good.

Does anyone know what variety of conifer this might be that will foliate
directly from the trunk?

Can anyone suggest some other species of hedge I might consider planting (on
sandy, well drained soil). I want something that won't grow too high and
that is easy to manage. I would prefer an evergreen hedge, but am no real
fan of leylandii.

A mixed species hedge would be rather nice, but what to plant?

TIA

Probably yew? Why would you cut down a wonderful hedge of beech? Surely
it would be better to cut it back rather than get rid altogether. They
make such wonderful hedges.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias