Old 16-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Peter Hemmings

Default Wisley Cream Clematis - When to cut back?

Hi,
I have a Wisley Cream clematis on a back westerly facing fence.
I've had it about four years, after 2 years without flowering I said to
it that if no flowers on the 3rd year I would pull it out!!
Last spring I had about 10 flowers and this year I have had a lot of
growth with about 20 flowers!!
I know this species can be a problem, but as it has made an effort I
would like to keep it longer!
Should I cut it back now (flowers just finishing) or wait till danger of
frost is over?
Do I cut hard back or just trimmed (it has got rather rampant).
Also is there any way to encourage flowering?
For information:
I live south of Bristol and in quite a mild, generally frost free
area.
Thanks
--
Peter Hemmings