Old 17-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Dustin

Default Outdoor phals

Most of them are mounted sideways or tilted on cork or driftwood..

Thanks for the advice, I really didnt want to cover the whole front of
it up. Maybe I can cover the whole patio, man the girlfriend will kill
me.

Since I am really only blocking morning sun sould I still use the
suggested 70% for phals, or should I go with 60%?

Thanks
Dustin

In article , Kenni Judd
wrote:

Dustin: I think you're going to need the shadecloth [put your Doritis and
Dtps. hybrids in the brightest spots]. Even more importantly, be sure to
position the plants so that they won't hold water in the crown every time it
rains.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Dustin" wrote in message
I have run out of room on the table outside thats setup to hold my
Phals. I live in south florida and I keep them outside most of the
year.
Over the weekend I got decided to make something new to keep my plants
(especially the mounted ones) under. I am renting this house, so my
dream greenhouse is still a ways away.
Here is a link to a picture of the lattice thing I made.
http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids/...shadething.jpg

It faces east, the house is about 10 feet east of it. There are only a
few big trees to the south east so it gets a good amount of morning
sun. After about 12pm the sun is heavily filtered by some palms.
I wasnt able to build the top out for more than 30" so its not really
effective at a shading the plants from overhead. The plants hung half
way down the back get a lot of morning sun.

My question is, could I acclimate my phals to take a few hours of
direct sun in the morning, or do I need to hide them with a piece of
shade cloth on the front?

Thanks
Dustin