Old 17-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Is organic gardening viable?

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:25:51 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

But I don't care, there's nothing to beat the smug feeling of

knowing
that
you grew what you're eating.

I wonder who did the study. I wonder what veggies were used.

Radishes
and lettuce might be difficult, but I have yet to see a

store-boughten
peach that comes even close to one that was picked ripe from the tree
(as opposed to being picked green and ripened after being severed

from
its source of sugar). The same sort of goes for tomatoes. It isn't

as
much an issue of vine-ripening, but there is a taste that comes with
home grown tomatoes that is missing in the store-boughten fare.

Perhaps
buying some of the $3.00/pound premium tomatoes would fix that, but I
wouldn't bet on it.

Yeah, but... "home grown" and "organic" are not the same thing.
Backing up the thread a bit, we come to 'taste tests' between organic
and non-. There's no question that a tomato picked in one's own
garden, or a peach from one's (or one's neighbor's) tree is superior
to well-travelled produce, whether they've been fertilized with
(organic) goat manure or something in a plastic bag.

Some people are purists :-)

I prefer to eat veggies that don't require the removal of chemicals
before eating. Also, whether or not you add ammonium nitrate or
whatever to the soil, having good humus in the soil makes for better
produce. Also, while the plants themselves don't need much in the way
of trace minerals, we need them. You won't find selenium and the like
in a bag of chemical fertilizer, but you'll find a variety of minerals
in the dairy doo, compost, or whatever you are using.

Ray