Old 17-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Growing trees in the ground

In a message dated 2/17/2004 5:45:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I was wondering. I know that trees when grown in pots must have there roots
trimmed occasionally. I was wondering though why when trees are grown in the
ground people dig them up every few years to trim the roots. I would have
thought that letting the roots grow would mean that the trees trunk
thickened up a lot quicker meaning it would have to spend less time in the
ground. I must be missing something obviously so I would appreciate it if
someone could explain this to me. Thanks.

Everything in life and art seems to be a compromise. Yes, restrained root
growth will thicken trunks, BUT if you don't cause roots to remain near the
trunk, it becomes difficult or impossible to dig up and pot some species when
the time comes.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++