Old 17-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Moles: How can I legally kill 'em.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:54:33 -0500 (EST), An Metet
wrote:

I am told that I can no longer kill moles by using the usual poison. In
fact to do so one has to have a special licence. The Queen for instance is
allowed to poison the little sons of *******. Whilst I was in France last
year I watched a mole catcher at work in a vineyard. She had a device
which fired a cartridge into the tunnel. Effective every time. The shot
was triggered by the mole clearing its tunnel, the mole woman having
depresed it before setting the trap. I am told such devices are illegal in
the UK! The cost was about £20. I am also told that a variation on this
does exist in the UK which spears the little parasite instead of blowing
its head off. Anyone ever seen or used such a device? Where can I buy a
couple?
I have consulted the WWW used some of there alleged remedies, not one of
them worked, a waste of time. Anyone out there got a sure fired way of
getting rid of 'em?

I have a curious book at home called ( I think ) Gardening Gurus and
Grubs - it's a collection of articles highlighting important
developments in gardening ( the gutta percha hosepipe, the
wheelbarrow, the Flymo etc ), and there's an article about
molecatchers.

It says that what they used to do was dig into the mole run and place
a pot beneath the run, then place a board atop the hole. The mole
falls into the pot and can't climb out - and can thus be captured.

It doesn't say what you do with the mole afterwards, though I would
suggest taking it a suitable distance and setting it free.

I might have to consider this option myself - I found a molehill
adjacent to my veg plot last week - looks like the moles have finally
made it into my garden after ten years of keeping a respectable
distance.

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry, the rest of the garden is pretty much a,
ahem, wildlife garden anyway - but the veg plot is another matter...I
need me worms!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk