Old 17-02-2004, 03:32 PM
simy1

Default Pruning a neglected apple tree

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
I recently moved into a new house with what I believe is an apple tree. It
looks like the two major trunks were cut back at 7 foot a few years ago, but
since then a number of major branches have started from there and shot
straight up an additional 10 or more feet. I am reluctant to cut them off
because they are now a big part of the tree, but I certainly will not be
climbing that high to get the fruit!

I also don't want to get too radical in case I misidentified the tree...

Brian

While I mostly agree with Sherwin, in case you end up liking the
apples from the tree, there are tools to harvest tall trees. Basically
a very long pole with a mechanical hand at the top. Also, if they shot
straight up, this thing could be a pear tree.