Old 17-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Orchids easy?

Susan Erickson wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:38:21 +0100, "Reka"
wrote:

"Kenni Judd" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...

But my experience with the "green" vs. "black" thumb folks, when it comes
to "houseplants," has been exactly the reverse of yours. I find that people
who are good with "dirt plants" tend to overwater, overfeed and overpot
their orchids. People like me, who tend to neglect such plants to death,
on the other hand, usually take to orchids very easily.

The reason I grow orchids is because I can not keep an ivy, or
pathos alive. A catt does not care if your schedule is a little
stretched. After all that is what a pbulb stash of water is
for... a little drought. G

I'm pretty grey thumb with everything. I'm picking grey as a
neutral color. Most plants do OK for me, but there isn't anything that
does spectacularly for me. Sweet corn is probably my best crop,
actually, and I'm not sure that is my fault. Orchids, houseplants,
roses, small fruit... I can grow them all pretty well. But there are,
and always will be, people who amaze the heck out of me in any one of
those categories. My grandmother could garden circles around anybody I
ever met, but never really figured out orchids. My father always had a
big garden and a good crop, with weeds up to the sky - I wish I could
figure out how he did that, as it would save me a lot of time.

I grow orchids because I enjoy the variety and I'm a born plant
collector. And I like the science, too. But I don't know that there
was a really big learning curve for me, after I figured out that they do
best if I leave them mostly alone. Which is really my style of
horticulture, anyway.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit