Old 17-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default help with lonicera , hydrangea, jasminum climbers

In article m,
Tiger303 writes:
| i've recently bought some mature climbers and wondered if anybody can
| recommend a good book with advice on planting, feeding, training etc
| etc etc. all the info needed to keep the plants growing, flowering, and
| generally looking their best
|
| if you're interested i've bought:
|
| lonicera X tellmanniana & lonicera henryi
| hydrangea anomola petiolaris
| jasminum off. argenteovariegatum
|
| due to having paving near both sides of the house the jasmin &
| hydrangea are going to have to be planted in very big pots

L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.

L. henryi has rather dull flowers, but is pleasantly evergreen.

All of those should be happy with winter pruning (and when needed
to avoid being strangled), and not too fussy generally, though I
have not grown the hydrangea or that variety of jasmine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.