Old 17-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Ian

Default Chewed Viburnum

"Jan" wrote in
:

Something is chewing the heck out of the leaves of my Viburnum Tinus
Eve Price. I thought it might be vine weevil, but the leaves are
chewed in the middles, not around the edges (vine weevil chew the
edges, right?)

I've found one large bright green caterpillar, and 2 small larvae that
have rolled up the leaves with a sticky web, but that's all. Oh, and
one 7-spot ladybird.

Are pests normally alive and active at this time of year? Does anyone
know what might be chewing the leaves?

Thanks

It is most likely Viburnum beetle - esp likes tinus. Eaten other varieties
almost to death in my Orpington garden. Not eaten the Maresii yet
fortunately.

My neighbour cut the tinus down to the ground and it has made a comeback.